Sunday, November 11, 2018

Lessons from my profession

I wrote my first blog 12 years ago and drafted few posts over the years but never published them.  I looked my drafts and found this one which I drafted in the year 2012.  I am finally hitting the publish button on this post now.

"Boring, Mundane, Routine, Dull, Frustrating, no learning opportunities", this is how I used to think about my job during the initial days of my career.  I was often complaining about my job I was thinking that I should find some other interesting job.  I decided to search for an interesting job and wrote many exams to switch my career.  But when a sit down and think whether is it really bad and aren't there any learning opportunities/lessons from my profession taught me.  Indeed there are many lessons I have learned from my profession which I can correlate with my life and which gave me an opportunity to improve/enhance my personal life too and made me a better person.

Problems?  Sit on top of them:  I have to deal with issues and problems everyday.  During my early days of careers, I used panic when we get a major incident or issue.  However, as I was able understand the systems we maintain and started resolve issues I then realised that issues are common in any system.  This experience has helped me to look at the problems I face everyday.  I stopped worrying about the problems in my life and realized that problems are indeed common in anybody's life and one has to deal with them instead of worrying about them or running away from them.  This idea has helped me to be happy about my life.

Help thy friends: When I look at the best people around me in my profession I often wondered what made them so effective at work.  When I looked even closer at the qualities which made them specials, the stars are not the extremely intelligent ones.  They are the ones who helps others and communicates effectively and keep in constant touch with their team and even the other teams in the organization.  Since they help other when others need it, they usually get the help back when the stars need them.  In case of emergency and highly critical issues, they are able to resolve the issues with working together and getting feedback from other team member and other teams.  This is true with our life too.  Happy and successful people are the ones who lend their hand when someone is in need.

Man is a tool using animal:
Thomas Carlyle correctly said that Man is a tool using animal.  What makes man different from other animals is his tool making and tool using capability.  Using appropriate tools at my work made my work easier and gave me more time to explore new technologies, interact more with people, improve my productivity and gain better knowledge.  When I extended this truth to my own life and started using more tools the results made my life better and enriching.  Using tools even helped me in avoiding fights, often for trivial things, with my wife and to become a happier soul :)

Maintain thy system well: One of the important things at my work is to maintain the systems well by monitoring them, doing regular health checks and house keeping on the systems to keep the productions systems up and running all the time avoid unplanned down times.  In these busy times most of the people are not even consciously caring about their body and health.  I learned to look at my body as a more important than "Production System" and started to give attention to it.

Manage change with care: 
Although we hate to make changes to the productions systems, it is inevitable to upgrade or add new features to the systems in order to allow growth of the organization.  We make so much of planning and take a lot of care and even devise roll back plans when upgrading a Production System.  Same is true with our life or career.  Although we would love to play safe with our career or life and have stability, it is often important to move to a different role or job or company to grow personally and professionally.  I realized that one should have proper plan and be careful while changing career etc as we do with the Production Systems.

After spending some years in my company and job and thinking consciously about my job, I now feel that there is no "perfect" profession or job.  I believe that it is up to us to show dedication, explore and learn new things everyday, spend lot of time on it and take our job to next level.  If we do it we will realize that no job is boring, dull or routine.  It often takes 10 years for one to excel in one's profession.  I know the initial years might be a little difficult to go through, but one should be patient enough till he/she gets some level of experience.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home