Sunday, November 11, 2018

Linux tools: tmux

I am an admirer of Ray Dalio and I read/watch many of his articles and videos.  I like his youtube video titled How The Economic Machine Works.  He had the following fantastic advice at the end of this video:

rule 1: Don't have debt rise faster than income.
rule 2: Don't have income rise faster than productivity.
rule 3: Do all that you can raise your productivity.

You may think what is the relation between Economic Machine and a Linux tool called tmux.  It has to do with his rule 3.  I always look out for tools and techniques that save my time and improve my productivity.  The tool tmux is one of such tools which can save a lot of my time at work.  Few weeks ago my colleague introduced it to me and I have been using it daily since.  It took me sometime to get used to the keyboard short cuts to use the tool.

Tmux is short form for terminal multiplexer and can be used on Linux/Unix environments.  It lets you access multiple terminal sessions on a single console.  I found this particularly useful when debugging my code, monitoring status of jobs on different machines etc.  This easily saves at least few minutes of my time daily (and potentially many hours during months and years).  You can check the following GitHub pages and blogs for more information on using tmux:

Tmux source code and wiki
tmux cheat sheet

Beginer's tip: You have to press control key (Ctrl+A/Ctrl+B) and then release keys, then press any other command key.  I didn't knwo I had to release control keys before pressing any command keys and wasted sometime figuring this out 🙂


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home